Wotton-under-Edge is a town located at the southern end of the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire, England.
This is a community web site and there's a lively discussion board, articles are contributed by members of the community, and there's links and classified ads and a list of all the local businesses.
- Fri 31 Nia Dance Fitness Town Hall 10am : During July and August we will be moving, stretching, breathing, dancing, improvising and generally experiencing a joyful movement practice without getting too hot!! Welcome to "Cool Nia". New students can join at any time. Any questions? Contact Christine Davis 842994 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fri 31 Electric Picture House Cinema: Amy (15) : Showing for 4 nights - Friday, Saturday, Monday and Wednesday at Electric Picture House Cinema, W-u-E From BAFTA award-winning director Asif Kapadia (SENNA), AMY tells the incredible story of six-time Grammy-winner Amy Winehouse - in her own words. Featuring extensive unseen archive footage and previously unheard tracks, this strikingly modern, moving and vital film shines a light on the world we live in, in a way that very few can. A once-in-a-generation talent, Amy Winehouse was a musician that captured the world's attention. A pure jazz artist in the most authentic sense - she wrote and sung from the heart using her musical gifts to analyse her own problems. The combination of her raw honesty and supreme talent resulted in some of the most unique and adored songs of the modern era. Her huge success, however, resulted in relentless and invasive media attention which coupled with Amy’s troubled relationships and precarious lifestyle saw her life tragically begin to unravel. Amy Winehouse died from alcohol poisoning in July 2011 at the age of 27.
- Sun 2 Electric Picture House: Love and Mercy (12A) : The brilliant Love and Mercy! Showing for 3 days on Sunday 2nd at 7:30, Tuesday 4th at 7:30 and Thursday 6th at 2pm Love and Mercy presents an unconventional portrait of Brian Wilson, the mercurial singer, songwriter and leader of The Beach Boys. Set against the era-defining catalogue of Wilson's music, the film intimately examines the personal voyage and ultimate salvation of the icon whose success came at extraordinary personal cost.
- Aug 6 Electric Picture House Cinema: Globe On Screen: The Duchess of Malfi : Showing for 1 night only starting at 7:30pm at Electric Picture House Cinema, W-U-E The widowed Duchess of Malfi longs to marry her lover, the steward Antonio. But her rancorous brothers, Ferdinand and the Cardinal, are implacably opposed to the match. When their spy, Bosola, discovers that the Duchess has secretly married and carries Antonio's child, they exact a terrible and horrific revenge. The Duchess of Malfi, featuring Hollywood star Gemma Arterton in the title role, is a thrilling combination of brilliant coups de théâtre, horrific set-pieces and vivid characters, all lit by Webster's obsessional imagination. Gemma Arterton returned to The Globe to play the Duchess in this sell-out production. Gemma made her professional stage debut at the Globe in 2007, when she won huge critical acclaim as Rosaline in Love's Labour's Lost. This most intimate Jacobean tragedy proved a truly sensational curtain-raiser for The Globe's very first season in the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse. The Globe On Screen production is the first ever theatrical production to be filmed entirely in candlelight - a unique and un-missable opening for the 2015 cinema season.
- Aug 13 Electric Picture House Cinema: Globe On Screen: Comedy of Errors : Showing for 1 night only starting at 7:30pm at the Electric Picture House Cinema, W-u-E Take one pair of estranged twin brothers (both called Antipholus), and one pair of estranged twin servants (both called Dromio), keep them in ignorance of each other and throw them into a city with a reputation for sorcery, and you have all the ingredients for theatrical chaos. One Antipholus is astonished by his foreign hospitality; the other enraged by the hostility of his home town. The Dromios, caught between the two, are soundly beaten for obeying all the wrong orders. Basing his plot on a farce by Plautus, Shakespeare caps the mayhem of his Roman original to build up a hectic tale of violent cross-purposes, furious slapstick and social nightmare. This production brings the perfect light relief to an epic season of war and tragedy. This sell-out production employed authentic Renaissance costumes and staging and will have cinema audiences roaring with laughter as it crams in "more hilarious anarchy than you can shake a fish, cat or identity-confused servant at." (London Theatre Guide).
- Aug 14 FREE Summer singing sessions : Hello, I run music with Mummy and jolly Babies classes in your area. I am organising a summer singing sessions today. The Teddy Bears Regatta Friday 14th August - Wotton under Edge UTEA Hall 10.00 - 10.45 All welcome. You don't need to be regular members of my class. Just remember to bring your teddy and to text me to book a place. Many Thanks Caroline 07757717073
A record number of hanging baskets are to be hung in Wotton next week promising an even better display of colour and perfume than last year.
One of the stars of British film and television will be attending a special screening of his latest release at the Electric Picture House Cinema in Wotton-under-Edge.